COVID-19 Cancellation Policy

If your trip cannot go ahead due to COVID-19 restrictions, you can amend your booking free of charge, or cancel it up to 24 hours before departure.

Can I amend free of charge?

You can always amend your booking dates free of charge. If you have new dates in mind, discuss these with the advertiser before contacting Goboony. If you are yet to choose them, you can also set provisional ones and finalise them later. It is important that you do this well in advance of your scheduled departure date so we can make the amendment. Read more on how to do this.

What are the conditions for a Covid cancellation?

The Covid cancellation conditions apply to bookings made from the 1st of October on all participating vehicles. This covers any booking that cannot go ahead due to COVID lockdown restrictions. Bookings made with this policy between October 1st, 2020 and January 18th, 2021 can be amended for free or cancelled up to 7 days before departure.

Further flexibility has been added to any bookings made from January 19th, 2021 onwards. These bookings can be amended free of charge or cancelled up to 24 hours before departure. You must report your cancellation immediately when the restriction is announced.

If you cancel under these conditions, you will receive 82.5% of the rental fee back. The remaining 17.5% service fee will be refunded in the form of a voucher which is redeemable against a new booking. The £35 service and warranty costs are non-refundable. This voucher is valid for 2 years after being issued.

If you have booked between April 25th and July 8th, or between October 1st, 2020 and January 18th, 2021 and need to cancel due to Covid restrictions; please contact support@goboony.co.uk as soon as possible.

I want to cancel my booking. Will I lose my money?

If your trip cannot go ahead due to Covid restrictions, you can cancel up to 7 days before your booking. In the event of new restrictions coming into place within a week of your booking, you will have up to 24 hours before the departure date to cancel. If this is the case, you will receive 82.5% of the total hire back. The remaining 17.5% service fee will be refunded in the form of a voucher which is redeemable against a new booking, minus the £35 service and warranty costs. This voucher is valid for 2 years. In all other circumstances, the regular cancellation conditions apply. You will always have the option to move your booking dates free of charge. You can decide on new dates that work for you and the advertiser. This way your trip can continue without losing any of what you have paid.

Extra flexibility in consultation with the hiring company of the motorhome

Do you want to be able to cancel under other conditions? Discuss this with the advertiser prior to booking via the chat on our platform. Please note: if arrangements are not confirmed through Goboony, we cannot guarantee that additional flexibility can be given. In that case, the above conditions will automatically apply.

Frequently Asked Questions

Stricter Covid restrictions are being introduced. What does this mean for my booking?

If these new restrictions mean your booking cannot go ahead you are able to make use of the Covid Cancellation Policy, for example when the government has prohibited all non-essential travel. If you can go on your holiday, but prefer not to due to other restrictions, then you can always discuss moving the dates of your booking with the advertiser. This will allow your trip to go ahead at a date that suits you.

My original travel plans are no longer feasible due to Covid restrictions. What can I do now?

If your intended destination is no longer feasible, you can adjust your travel plans to a new destination. This is possible due to the freedom of a motorhome. If you would prefer to stick to your original plans, you can amend the dates of your booking free of charge. Simply contact the advertiser to discuss possible dates, or set a new preliminary date to be adjusted later. This will allow your trip to continue without additional costs. If travel is not impossible due to Covid restrictions, you can unfortunately not claim our Covid Cancellation Policy. You can, however, make additional agreements when placing your booking, in consultation with the advertiser.

The situation around Covid is getting worse and I would rather not travel on the original booking dates. What can I do now?

In this case, we recommend planning a new date for your trip in consultation with the advertiser. This will ensure your trip can continue without further costs. As long as it is not impossible to travel due to Covid restrictions, you can unfortunately not claim our Covid Cancellation Policy. You can, however, make additional agreements when placing your booking, in consultation with the advertiser.

The government has put restrictions in place that make a motorhome holiday impossible. Can I make use of the Covid Cancellation Policy?

Yes, if it is impossible to go on your trip, you are able to make use of our Covid Cancellation Policy.

All campsites and motorhome pitches are closed. Can I make use of the Covid Cancellation Policy?

If all campsites and motorhome pitches in the country (within the UK) are closed and the borders with other countries (within the UK) are also closed, a motorhome holiday would not be possible and the policy would apply.

The borders with other countries are closed and I planned to go abroad. Can I make use of the cancellation policy?

If you intended to travel abroad with the motorhome, but this is no longer possible due to borders closing or ferries being shut down, you can use our Covid Cancellation Policy. This is only applicable if you have specified that you would be travelling abroad when you were making your booking request.

I have hired a motorhome to attend an event that has been cancelled due to Covid restrictions. Can I make use of the cancellation policy?

For this, you can claim our Covid Cancellation Policy. You must have stated when making your booking request that you would be going to this event and you must be able to provide evidence of this - such as tickets to the event in question.

Can I make use of the cancellation policy if the government announces new restrictions that will make my booking impossible within a week of the start date?

In this scenario, you would be able to cancel up to 24 hours before the intended departure. Make sure to notify us and make a cancellation request as soon as the restriction is announced. For any restrictions announced over 7 days prior to your departure date, the normal rule of 7 days still applies.

I am sick or someone in my travel party is sick. Can I make use of the cancellation policy?

In this case, you can arrange new dates for your booking with the advertiser. Unfortunately, you are not entitled to our Covid Cancellation Policy, so the regular cancellation conditions apply. You can, of course, cover yourself against cancellation costs in case of illness with regular cancellation insurance or travel insurance.

The specific campsite I want to go to is closed or fully booked. Can I make use of the cancellation policy?

In this case, you can arrange new dates for your trip with the advertiser. Unfortunately, you are not entitled to our Covid Cancellation Policy based on a certain site being closed or full, so the regular cancellation policy still applies.

The weather forecast looks disappointing and I don’t fancy having the booking after all. What can I do?

In this case, you could ask the advertiser whether they have other dates available. They may offer you new dates but they are not obliged to do so. You are not entitled to our Covid Cancellation Policy, so the regular cancellation conditions apply.